Frequency of Inspection

Home Forums Main Forum Frequency of Inspection

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Dempsey

The private renting sector (PRS) is currently under heavy scrutiny around electrical safety. So much so that there is a PRS Electrical safety group which meets in London regularly to discuss how the issues in private renting sector can be managed.

We recently attended the meeting and one suggestion is to mirror the Scottish Housing Act and have compulsory 5 yearly checks for all private renting properties. This includes all PAT testing and fixed wire and also covers any changes in tenancy. One test every 5 years.

Should the public sector follow this guidance or do we think the processes and procedures we have in place covers a frequency that can be determined by us as the landlord?

I have my views and believe we should take Regulation 622 of the BS7671 and use that to determine the frequency. That could mean 2, 3, 5 or 10.

It should be individually assessed not predetermined.

Would be great to get your views on this.

Ryan

Andy F
    Participant

Hi Ryan

I think we should have the pre-determined 5 year rule as we could use this to make it statutory and then have the same powers of entry as gas.

I can see where you are coming from and completely agree, however without a set standard and date we can never make electrical testing legislation in my opinion.

Regards
    Andy

Ryan Dempsey

Andy,

Electrical testing is already a legislative requirement. The frequency is determined by the responsible person / owner of the installation based on the management of the installation. I know its not as clear cut as gas but that just means people like you and me need to educate the decision makers in our organisations so they understand.

I totally agree that a standard frequency should be sought for those who don’t manage their installations as well as they should but believe Value for Money can only ever be achieved in Electrical installations by managing them better.

There is so much more we can do that would be far more effective than a standard frequency. The AESM is a great platform to drive these new ways of working forward for all members to benefit.

Ryan

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.