Emergency lighting fixed wiring 3 or 5 years ?

Home Forums Main Forum Emergency lighting fixed wiring 3 or 5 years ?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi all

BS7671 GN3 etc all recommend fixed wiring that has emergency lighting is tested every 3 years unless I’m not reading this right.

Our communal areas to blocks of flats and sheltered and offices etc are all tested every 3 years for an EICR as they have emergency lighting.

The lighting it’s self is tested monthly/annually.

Just wanted to confirm this is correct and what others are doing please, or is 5 years acceptable.

Many thanks,

Christian

Martin Simmonds
    Participant

WE only do 5 years as part of the EICR, that said there would be a visual check of the installation each month/annually.
    What reg states specifically that its 3 years ?

Mike Proudfoot
    Participant

We do a fixed wire test every 5 years and a weekly test and six monthly service. I am not aware of the need to carry out a fixed wire test every 3 years……Advice please

Christian Jones
    Participant

The IET Guidance Note 3 Table 3.2 recommended

initial frequencies of inspection of electrical installations – maximum period between inspection and testing.

Special and specific installations – emergency lighting – routine daily/monthly and testing 3 years.

I believe it may also mention fixed wiring testing in BS5266.

Paul Simpson
    Participant

Hi

Like other we test the fixed wiring every 5 years, although GN3 does maximum initial period between inspections and testing is 3 years, the note also says the inspector may recommend this period to be increased as a result of the findings.

It would seem that as a result of the findings all our inspectors are of the opinion that 5 years is acceptable so that’s handy 😊.

Paul

Christian Jones
    Participant

Thanks yes it does seem it comes down to the person doing the inspection unless your using your own electricians then they will put what the QS recommends.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.