Consumer units

Home Forums Main Forum Consumer units

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

What type of consumer units are are members currently specifying and fitting. I am looking at changing our specification for our standard consumer unit. I am thinking of going all RCBO with an SPD. The reason for the RCBO’s is for better protection with only 1 circuit being affected by a fault and also future proofing the consumer unit if AFDD’s become mandatory on certain circuits. The SPD is also for future proofing should they become mandatory.

Paul Garland
    Participant

Hi Ian, We switched our spec to Wylex NM range following the introduction of 18th Edition. Manufacturer wise we have used Wylex for a lot of years with few issues. We are now fitting RCBO’s to all circuits except cooker and Shower circuits which we are fitting AFDD’s to, the logic being that these appeared to be the greatest risk in terms of loose connections etc. certainly in my experience as an Electrician, I found this to be the case in Shower pull switches on a number of occasions. We also have SPD’s as standard, trying to record and demonstrate a risk assessment to evidence the rare occasion that we didn’t need them seemed pointless.

Paul Simpson
    Participant

Morning Ian, similar to Paul we have been fitting Wylex consumer units for some time now with RCBOs. We are looking at changing the specification to include SPDs and I think it will only be a matter of time before we are also using AFDDs.

Alan Gibson
    Participant

We also fit Wylex SPD/RCBO boards and awaiting guidance from the Regs regarding AFDD’s

Antony Streets
    Participant

We have using Crabtree Loadstar consumer units for a long time now. We started using RCBO across the board probably 4-5 years ago.
    We have using AFDD for about 2-3 years now. They have been installed on every circuit which has a socket outlet.

Ian Tattershaw
    Participant

Thanks for your replies – looks like we are heading in the right direction and I agree AFDD’s will be common place soon.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.