CO Alarms

Home Forums Main Forum CO Alarms

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Paul Simpson
    Participant

I’m seeking some best practice feedback from fellow members relating to their CO detector policy. In particular on decisions regarding the quantity per property, siting and any risk priority which has influenced policy. Below is our current specification.

A minimum of one CO Alarm will be fitted in all properties that contain a fuel burning appliance according to the following priority list:
    Priority 1. Site in ALL rooms containing a flueless or open-flued appliance.
    Priority 2. Site in rooms where the occupants spend most time.
    Priority 3. Site in rooms in which the appliance is most used.

Thanks
    Paul

Adrian Sullivan
    Participant

Hello Paul

We finished our Decent Homes program some 3 years ago and at the time the only provision of CO detectors was where there was a solid fuel burning appliance or where there was an open flued appliance (we have virtually none of these now). Gas Cookers were not taken into account.
    Our Gas engineers fit battery CO alarms on the same criteria as above when they carry out annual servicing and test all smoke, heat and CO alarms whilst there.
    A battery CO alarm would also be fitted where we had concerns for a tenants safety such as if a tenant had dementia and a gas cooker was present.
    Having said this I can see legislation changing making them all hard wired and linked to other smoke and heat alarms.

Regards.
    Adrian

Ryan Dempsey

Good Morning,

When I reviewed a specification for Housing Leeds I consulted the Gas Compliance team on the correct use etc of CO detection in properties. After discussions the following was added into the specification.

Please be mindful that this is now 9 months old and you will need to review your own portfolio 0to see if this would fit.

Hope it helps.

13.05 CO Detection
    Properties with gas appliances shall have CO detection installed in all rooms where open flue and solid fuel appliances are installed.
    It is accepted that the detection units used can be smoke and CO integrated units.
    CO detection must not be installed in rooms where cooking appliances are in or could be in use (ie – Kitchens).
    ALL detectors installed in properties must have a push to test button and have the installation date clearly marked on the rear of the units.
    The contractor, will be required to manage the repairs during the warranty periods.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.