Chris Bielby MBE addresses key solutions to reducing CO poisoning cases

 

Chris Bielby MBE, the first President of the Association of Gas Safety Managers, spoke about the work that had been done by major organisations such as British Gas, the Health & Safety Executive and other organisations such as charities, the Government and industry to raise awareness about carbon monoxide issues. He noted that CO incidents had reduced over the last 40 years since reporting started, but that there was much more to be done.

“I believe that CO alarms should be mandatory for all properties that are the responsibility of Housing Associations. Maintenance of gas appliances by qualified engineers is the key and the correct policies and procedures must be in place to ensure they are properly maintained and audited. CO alarms are also crucial – there is much more that can be done to raise awareness of the dangers.”

He picked on some key actions that were helping  including penalising unregistered gas installers, increased regular servicing of appliances, replacement of open flue appliances, coordinated efforts to increase customer awareness, increased usage and legislation for CO alarms and increased awareness amongst the medical profession.

 

Harrowing tale of Stacey and Dominic

Chris Bielby was joined by Stacey Rodgers of the Dominic Rodgers Trust who gave a very moving account of her tragic experience ten years ago when her ten year old son died of carbon monoxide poisoning from a leak from a downstairs flat. She is now a passionate campaigner for raising awareness of the need for installing CO alarms.

Delegates to the Conference were so move by her story that they requested details about how to make donations to the Dominic Rodgers Trust.  Please make cheques payable to “The Dominic Rodgers Trust” and post them to Office F5, The Media Centre, 7 Northumberland Street, Huddersfield HD1 1RL.  https://sites.google.com/site/dominicrodgerstrust/home